In recent years, selecting a solution to manage your law practice has become considerably more complex. Consider the choices: on-premise (client/server), hosted, web-based, and cloud-based storage options. Some practice management software focuses on front-office/case management, others on back-office billing and accounting.
ProLaw, sold by Elite, a Thomson Reuters Company, is legal practice management, document management, and accounting in a single solution. ProLaw does a lot–and we tend to think of ProLaw’s functionality in three categories:
- Practice Management, or “front office”
- Billing and Accounting, or “back office”
- Document Management
What We Like about ProLaw
- A Fully Integrated Solution. Many software applications designed for law firms tend to focus exclusively or more heavily on either front-office or back-office functionality. What we like about ProLaw is that it is whole package. It does a very good job of practice management, billing/accounting, and document management. Arguably, ProLaw is the only mainstream legal practice management application that also incorporates a true DMS, or Document Management Solution, with features including versioning, check-in/check-out, and more.
- It Looks like Microsoft Office. Much of the ProLaw interface will look and feel very familiar. That is because ProLaw was designed to look and work like the Microsoft Office suite of products, including Word and Outlook. This, in our opinion, makes ProLaw approachable and comfortable.
- Documents Live in the Database. Most legal practice management applications allow you to link documents (such as Word or PDF files) to a matter, but the file must be stored somewhere else, then manually linked to the matter (which creates a kind of shortcut to the document from your practice management application). With ProLaw, when you add a document or email to a matter–the document is actually stored in the ProLaw database, keeping everything together and eliminating the need to maintain a separate file system.
ProLaw covers a lot of ground.
- Practice Management
- Client & contact management
- Case management
- Calendaring (including rules-based calendaring)
- Link to legal research (via WestLaw)
- Trust Accounting
- General Accounting (AR, AP, GL)
- Document Management
- In-line document storage
- Integration with Microsoft Office
- Version Management
- Email Management
- Index & Search
The Uptime Verdict
ProLaw is an incredibly robust, powerful, and mature legal practice management application. We recommend it to our clients when a firm must have practice management, billing/accounting, and document management in a single solution. ProLaw is often a great fit for law firms that are at least 6 total users in size (solo practices and very small firms may find ProLaw to be “too much”).
Better in the Cloud
Leverage ProLaw for your practice anywhere, without the need for on-premise servers and expensive IT support with a legal cloud platform such as Uptime Practice™. ProLaw, along with the right cloud solution, will give you access to your entire practice including your case management and billing software, your files, documents & email, anytime, anywhere.
See it in Action
Take a look at ProLaw in action.
Take a look at Uptime Practice, the best way to run your ProLaw, other legal software, documents & email in the cloud.